Subject: Re: NetBSD PPC
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Joel Klecker <jk@espy.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/10/1998 06:39:39
At 09:31 -0700 1998-06-08, David A. Gatwood wrote:
>I think the key here was correct and complete.  For instance, the G3
>PowerMacs, unless the recent models have fixed the problem, can't boot
>from their internal IDE drives via OpenFirmware because of an OF bug.

It's not fair to call that a bug, I'd just call it a screw-up.

It is perfectly logical why G3 PowerMacs can't boot from IDE drives, their
OF doesn't have drivers for the IDE hardware.

The most glaring problem in all PCI PowerMacs to date is that they can't
deal with ELF binaries, which is clearly required for OF conformance (I
forget if that's in general, or just for the PowerPC bindings).
--
Joel "Espy" Klecker
Debian GNU/Linux Developer