Subject: Re: NFS-rooted filessystems?
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@og.org>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/10/1998 22:37:52
At 7:08 Uhr +0200 02.06.1998, Scott Reynolds wrote:
>On Mon, 1 Jun 1998, Tom Shorock wrote:
>
>> Is
>> there a way to mount root from NFS in the mac 68k BSDs?
>
>Yes, in fact, I have one system that's permanently set up with an NFS
>root.  With Booter 1.11.1, you only need to make sure the `Enabled?' box
>is unchecked in the Options -> Booting dialogue; this tells the kernel
>that you aren't using the disk as the root device.  Swap, of course, is
>set up independently after the system has booted.

Chiming in a little late (I've been busy elsewhere ;): You mean you really
got diskless booting a NetBSD client to work?

About a year ago, I spent several evenings trying to boot an I386 box from
a mac68k server via rpc.bootparamd/nfs -- no way. I have just tried it
again with an SE/30; rpc.bootparamd doesn't wedge like it did last year,
but the SE/30 doesn't boot, either.

My setup:

/etc/bootparams has

	wurzel root=espresso:/.1/export/wurzel/root

(I tried swap and dump entries as well as gateway, with and without
continuations - no difference).

/etc/exports has

	/.1/export/wurzel/root -maproot=root
	/usr -ro

"rpc.bootparamd -sd" says

rpc.bootparamd: whoami got question for 192.168.1.5
rpc.bootparamd: This is host wurzel.hf.org

...ad nauseam

tcpdump set on filtering "ip broadcast or ether host 00:00:94:10:6f:d0 or
ether proto \rarp or ether proto \arp" (where the MAC address is from
wurzel) shows a rarp request from wurzel to get its IP address, followed by
an arp request (to see if the IP address obtained is unique?) and several
broadcasts to "192.168.1.sunrpc" (details avaliable on request). Looks like
the bootparam server never answers.

The kernel says (after specifying ae0 for root and nfs for the filesystem):

	nfs_boot: trying RARP (and RPC/bootparam)
	nfs_boot: client_addr=0xc0a80105
	nfs_boot: timeout...
	nfs_boot: timeout...
	nfs_boot: timeout...
	nfs_boot: bootparam whoami, error = 60
	cannot mount root, error = 60

-- espresso is a 1.3.2 box; wurzel's kernel is 1.3.2, too.

>Best wishes on your quest.
>
>--scott

Ah, thanks.  =8)
Any ideas? What does your setup look like?

	hauke