Subject: Re: MkLinux DR2.1 update 5
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/23/1997 16:56:17
> (there was a buffer cache problem). Right now, I think a better way to

Why not pass off the source and see if somebody wants to debug it? I know
cache problems can be weird but it aught to be solvable. :)

> get hfs support would be Paul Hargrove's hfsfs module, which unfortunatly
> is GPL'd. I've had lunch a few times w/ Paul, and he'd rather not remove
> the GPL.

So what's wrong with GNU Public License? Ok, I know NetBSD has a more open
code license than GNU but would it be so terrible to have some GPL'd software
in the source tree?

> The problem is that he received non-trivial help from a MacOS
> simulator company (he got to read their source), and they asked him
> to keep it GPL'd. There's a one-word reason: Microsoft. :-)

Kind of a weird reason. I'm sure Microsoft could get a couple of guys together
and write an HFS package if they wanted to. A friend of mine wrote the
HFS code they use for stuff by DataVis and that's a much smaller company :)

> I think our best bet is either use the h* utilities, or get hfsfs
> working, and just keep it an lkm.

Both would work :)

Are the h* utilities truly free? Couldn't we build a file system off of them
or is that what you tried to do already?