Subject: Re: Questions
To: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/15/1997 16:09:32
Paul Goyette wrote:

> Hmmm.  I've got 80MB in my IIci, but both NetBSD and MacOS only recognize
> the first 64MB.  Maybe I should switch the 16MB SIMMS and 4MB SIMMS into
> the opposite memory banks?
>
> On Wed, 15 Oct 1997, Colin Wood wrote:
>
> > God's Own Drunk and a Fearless Man wrote:
> > >
> > > This is the last one, and I won't bug you guys for a while :)
> > >
> > > What is the maximum amount of memory that NetBSD 1.2.1 will address
> > > on my IIci?  I have 20 in there currently, and have shut off most
> > > services ( inetd, routed, talkd, etc. ) and X11R6 uses some memory :)
> > > I wanna max this thing out on ram, but am cautious about buying it
> > > without knowing.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for any info.
> >
> > I think that the limit is in hardware and not in the OS.  I have 28MB in
> > mine.  I believe that it should be able to handle the full 128MB that a
> > IIci can handle.

Hmmmm....that's kinda weird.  In general, from what I've read, you're
supposed to have the larger SIMM's in Bank A (the one closer to the
hard drive, I believe), although this was mainly back when people had a
lot less memory.  Are you using internal video, or do you have a card?
If the former, perhaps you're getting some weird mapping problems since
internal video uses part of Bank A memory.  What speed are you SIMM's?
(not that this should really matter...)

At any rate, you can always switch the two banks and see (it's not like
you'll hurt anything unless you statically zap the memory).  And if this
doesn't work, I'll volunteer to take the extra 16MB off your hands ;-)

Hope this helps some.

Later.