Subject: Re: LC/Performa 475 boots (serial console)
To: Jens Thordarson <ktz@mmedia.is>
From: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@netscape.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/28/1997 12:46:01
Jens Thordarson wrote:

> Mine too...but I have another question...
> Out of recent mailings it seems that a lot of people is using
> genericsbc-26....is this some kind of coincidence?
> My machine (LCIII, 8MB RAM, 250MB disk, 68882 FPU) is not able to use any
> other kernel, it does boot up (sometimes) but crashes more or less after
> less than a minute, except when I use genericsbc-26 OR adbtest-160....I've
> tried most of the other kernels there are....madhatter, hwdirect, oldr AND
> newer generics, but I always get this stuff....there must be something
> wrong here?
> (Sorry if I'm repeating my self, but I've got the feeling I've sent this
> concern before with no aparent answers yet......)

I can't speak for GENERIC-26, but I know that ADBTEST-160 had an
early version of the intvidtest code (v0.4.1 to be exact), which
allowed internal video support for several machines, including the
LCIII.

On the last HWDIRECT kernel (before 356) I tried to integrate this
old code into my new sources but the resulting kernel still did
not work on the LCIII. I did, however, have to make a few guesses
on how to integrate the code, as there had been many changes to the
kernel source since the diffs for the intvidtest code I had were
made, so I may have done something wrong.

I know that Michael is still working on the intvidtest code, and
when it is complete it will resolve many of these issues.

	--John