Subject: Re: new drive.
To: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/19/1997 23:28:51
Armen Babikyan wrote:
> >> okay, i mounted the drive /usr.
> >> the exact zip-drive directions made my kernel panic, but the above
> >> directions made my system work fine.  i think redundancy for some
> >> directions in the faq would be great for semi-newbies like me.
> >> the zip FAQ also mentions adding a line to /etc/disktab to mount the
> >> filesystem automatically (don't they mean /etc/fstab by the way?).
> >
> >Which ZIP howto were you looking at?  There are two at the moment (both
> >fairly useful), but I haven't had time to integrate them yet.  Chances are
> >that it meant /etc/fstab, though.
> >

> the one on www.macbsd.com/macbsd -> HOW-TO link -> Zip howto

Hmmmm...that's the older of the two.  I suppose I should go ahead and
merge the two.

> >> just a
> >> line at the end of the file with: "mount /dev/sdXa /whatever"?
> >
> >Uh...no.  More like:
> >
> >/dev/sdXa /users ffs rw 1 2
> >

> okay, the file is /etc/fstab .  /etc/disktab looks totally different :-)
> yeah, i got something to the effect of the above line, except i used ufs
> instead of ffs. whoops. (it didn't work with ufs).
> hmm, just doing it now....it didn't work with ffs either. :-\
> what could be wrong?

What line do you have there?  What partition is your zip drive set up to
be on?  Do a 'disklabel sdX' and see what it tells you.

> >make sure that the /users directory exists as a mount point first, tho.  I
> >don't think that mount can mount on top of a non-existant directory ;-)
> >
> >> (i just ran across this problem because i made my 2nd hard drive /usr, and
> >> the system won't boot up because it needs a lot of stuff found in /usr).
> >> thanks,
> >
> >Doh!  You can just boot into single-user and modify /etc/fstab there.
> >Then it won't mount your zip drive over your /usr directory.
> >

> lame newbie question: how can i boot in single user and modify if it's
> read-only in single user?
> oh wait, is the filesystem not mounted at single user as default?

In single-user mode, the root filesystem (i.e. the partition mounted at /)
is mounted read-only so that you can safely run fsck.  To mount it
read/write, all you have to do is run 'mount -w /', I believe.  Then you
should be able to edit /etc/fstab.  Worse comes to worse, you can just
copy it out in the Installer, edit with something like BBEdit, then copy
it back in with the Installer.

Hope this helps.

Later.