Subject: color lkm load panic
To: port-mac68k <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: T. Sean (Theo) Schulze <71410.25@CompuServe.COM>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/16/1997 14:50:00
Not content with the amount of frustration brought on by my fight with
the "Harddrive from Hell" (No, it is not yet formatted, but thank you for
asking...), I decided to distract myself with something else - getting X
in color on my IIci.  I recently bought a NB video board, and have been
dying to get X in color.  NetBSD recognizes the board and gives me:

macvid0 at nubus0: Spectrum/24 PDQ Plus v1.292
macvid: 640 x 480, monochrome
grf0 at macvid0
ite at grf0 not configured

I am trying to do this on a IIci with 12MB RAM using the GENERICSBC#26
kernel.  I ftp'd video_lkm_combined.o from the source listed in the FAQ
to my MacOS side, then copied it in to /usr/lkm using the Installer's
mini-shell. I then added the following lines from the FAQ to my rc.local:

#Set up color video
if [ -f /usr/lkm/video_lkm_combined.o]; then
     echo 'loading color video.'
     modload -o /tmp/video -e video_lkm_cmd video_lkm_combined.o
fi

I also got the color Xserver Xmacbsd.960512.gz, gunzipped it and swapped
it for my standard vanilla NetBSD 1.2 X11R6 Xserver.  When I did the
swap, I changed the file's permissions to turn it into an executable.

When I booted (in one bit color), I got an error message complaining that
the file or directory video_lkm_combined.o did not exist.  So, I changed
the second occurance of video_lkm_combined.o to
/usr/lkm/video_lkm_combined.o.

When I booted again, I got a list of error messages that there was an
unassigned value "ero".  It occurred to me that I might have screwed the
file up ftp'ing it, so I ftp'd it again, making sure that I got it as a
binary file.

Now when I boot, the kernel panics with a MMU fault trap and sends me to
the debugger.  The top part of the error message looks like this:

Possible modes:  0x80 0x81 0x82 0x83 0x84
vm_fault(160000, dc000000, 1, 0) -> 1
  type 8, code [mmu,,ssw]: 401074d
trap type 8, code = 401074d, v= dc00005c
kernel: MMU fault trap
pid = 87, pc = 0x06c1839c, ps = 0x00002000, sfc = 0x00000001, dfc =
0x00000001
Registers:

[register read outs snipped]

panic: MMU fault
Stopped at     _Debugger+0x6:  unlk      a6

I thought this problem might still come from the ftp'ing, so I thought to
compile the lkm myself and ftp'd the source files.  I took a look at the
Makefile, and then typed "make all".  That didn't work, and neither did
just "make".  I think it is trying to use libraries or other linked files
that I don't have on my system.

This, I think, is a separate problem though, which I think is less
important than the inability to load the lkm.  If I do have to compile my
own though, I would appreciate some advice, because I have *very little*
programming experience  (I can get my Mac to "hello world", but that's
about it. :-)  I have been refering to O'Reilly's _Programming with GNU
Software_ for some of this, but so far I haven't found the magic words.

TIA,

Sean.

T. Sean (Theo) Schulze
71410.25@compuserve.com

"...determines to remain seized of the matter."