Subject: Re: IntVid, GENERIC, and general organization
To: None <ADAMGOOD@delphi.com>
From: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@netscape.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/14/1997 11:54:36
ADAMGOOD@delphi.com wrote:

> So many people are putting so much hard work into this.  It's a real
> shame that it seems so disorganized.  I'd like to help, but I can't
> even compile a kernel that works on my machine.  Is there any way
> that everyone's work could be centralized (like on ftp.macbsd.com),
> and all info on different projects be put together under the Web or
> FAQ pages?

Adam,
I agree that sometimes it is diffucult to find things. This is
exactly why my ADB changes (and Takashi's PM changes) were integrated
into the kernel and are no longer available on the ADB Page (which
is on *.macbsd.com, BTW). So that people DON'T have to wander around
to several sites to get all the little pieces. They are all in the
one place - the source tree.

As someone else mentioned, if sup doesn't work for you you
can still grab the tarballs. Or, in some cases (and this doesn't
always work) you can just grab the files themselves.

For example, if your source is from way back in November, and you
can't sup and don't have the disk space for a entire sys tarball,
you could try simply grabbing adb_direct.c, adb_direct.h, pm_direct.c,
and pm_direct.h from ftp.netbsd.org and using this with your
existing source tree. However, you'll find that there were also
some minor changes to several other files, which you can get but
those may have other changes that require other files, etc.
I have run into this problem before.

If none of these solutions works for you, please let me know and
I can dig up the old HWDIRECT.164 patches.

Happy hacking,

	--John