Subject: Re: amd
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Steven N. Hirsch <shirsch@ibm.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/04/1997 18:38:18
On Fri, 4 Jul 1997, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Jul 1997 17:59:29 -0400 (EDT)
>  "Steven N. Hirsch" <shirsch@ibm.net> wrote:
>
>  > Oh, yes, I'm not making that up <g>.  I'm not sure why the BSD version of
>  > amd is using an oddball port for the NFS mount request - I _thought_ the
>  > Linux amd was the same code (it's never caused a problem).
>
> ...could be just differences in defaults... or, hm, doens't amd actaully
> invoke the "mount_nfs" command?  Anyhow, just configure it to use a privvied
> port... that is the default in more recent versions of NetBSD-current...

Ok, in looking at the amd source on my Alpha I can see where different
bits of code are compiled depending upon "BSD" or SYSV" orientation of the
host.

I downloaded the amd source from the BSD snapshot, and will take a look at
that next.  Also, what do you mean by "more recent versions.."?  I'm using
the 060197 "current" binaries.

Perhaps there is something basic I'm missing (not being too comfortable
with BSD networking configuration).  Is there a file hiding in /etc that
tells amd what port to use for NFS/UDP services?  I looked carefully at
/etc/services don't see anything particular to NFS in it.  Under Linux
(and DG/UX, and AIX..) this seems to be handled transparently.

Bear with me, and thanks for the input!

Steve