Subject: Re: Mounting, compiling, & driver writing
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/01/1997 16:08:30
On Tue, 1 Jul 1997, Ken Nakata wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Jul 1997 15:39:00 -0500,
> "Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D." <drk@shore.net> wrote:
> > >disklabel sd?
> >
> > When I do this, I get:
> >
> > disklabel: /dev/rsd?: No such file or directory
>
> I'm sure Colin meant that you should replace ? with the actual device
> number such as (most likely) 0.
>
> > >mount /dev/sd?? /path/to/mount_point/here
>
> This '??', likewise.
>
> > cat /etc/fstab
>
> You have to edit fstab by yourself if you didn't tell Installer to
> do it for you.  ...

Of course, the installer will only "do it for you" if you run the "make
devices" function _after_ you've used the mini-shell to create the mount
points _AND_ you've got the additional partitions mounted at the time.

>               ... Assuming your additional BSD partition is recognized
> as sd0g, your additional line in fstab would be:
>
> /dev/sd0g	/whereever/mount/point/you/like	ffs	rw 1 2
>
> Here, of course you should replace the /whereever/... part with the
> actual path name of your choice.  Such as /home, /usr2, /opt, or
> whatever.
>
> > so I forgot, in the list above, about the swap partition. The map is actually:
> >
> >  	0	UNIX root & usr		200 Meg
> >  	1	UNIX boot		80 Meg
> >  	2	UNIX usr		200 Meg
> >  	3	Mac boot vol		200 Meg
> >  	4	Mac vol			200 Meg
> >  	5	Mac v0l			<200 Meg
>
> Where's the swap partition?  And what's the UNIX "boot" partition?

And don't forget, the sd?c partition refers to the entire disk, and the
sd?d partition (usually it's d) refers to the MacOS driver partition.

> > >Unfortunately, that's pretty much RTSL (Read the Source, Luke ;-)
> >
> > (Sigh!)
>
> What driver did you have in your mind?  It may have been done by
> some other people, depending on the device.
>
> Ken

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com |