Subject: Re: AppleTalk access/setup
To: Tommy Tarka <tommy@clockwork.dementia.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/21/1997 13:13:45

> I know that you can get the netatalk source from the mklinux archive at
> sunet (ftp.sunet.fe i think ... ftp.sunet.pe ftp.sunet.se ?) under
> /dev/utilities (again, I'm not positive) but the netatalk homepage is at:
>
> 	http://www.umich.edu/~rsug/netatalk

Unfortunately that won't work for NetBSD. I've sent in the patches to
1.4b2 to get it to work w/ NetBSD, but they aren't in the current release
yet.

For now, they are at:

	ftp://toccata.fugue.com/pub/netbsd-atalk/beta2.97somethingorother

and they should work right out of the box with -current from early April on
a non-m68k computer, and -current from the middle of this month or so
on an m68k computer (a hack to get around a bug in the compiler got
removed from the source code before the compiler got fixed).

> On Tue, 20 May 1997, Jesse Swensen wrote:
>
> > Well, I think I finally got the ethernet set up correctly.  What was really
> > needed was a "route add -net net_address host_address -interface".  As soon
> > as this was done things began to work.  So, on to the next phase....
> >
> > What I would like to now is give printer access to the network.  I have a
> > DeskJet 855c.  It is AppleTalk, Serial and Parrellel capable.  I don't
> > think that UNIX can understand the AppleTalk printer so I need some other
> > means.  If I understand correctly NetATalk and lpr is the ticket.  True??
> > Where to get it? and how to install it?

That won't work either. The printer's not "AppleTalk" capable, it's LocalTalk
capable. We support AppleTalk (over ethernet). We don't support LocalTalk, yet.

AppleTalk is how computers talk to each other. It's how you get zones, and
make the chooser work, etc. LocalTalk is the inexpensive wiring Apple used
with the mac's.

The printer should work fine over a serial link, using a recent version of
ghostscript.

Take care,

Bill