Subject: Re: Screenless Performa575 install probs.
To: Allan Fields <afields@hotmail.com>
From: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/13/1997 17:07:00
On Tue, 13 May 1997, Allan Fields wrote:

>      I have a screenless ( --flybacks dead) Performa 575 that I wish to install

:-)

> about installing NetBSD on this sucker?  Are there text based installation or
> partitioning utilities?  And if so will they run over a serial port?  If this
> where a sun, I would just attach a serial terminal to it, and start the
> installation.  I have a feeling this hardware is quite a bit different -- prove
> me wrong.

Unfortunately, yeah, it is.  We ought to figure out a way to do that,
though, and in fact, installation from the un*x side is one of the wish
list items....  The hard part would be convincing NetBSD to boot w/o swap
or a root partition.  It might be possible one of these days.  :-)

>      By the way, unfortunately this is the *only* mac I have access to, besides
> a SE. :(  If I had access to a LC or something like that, I wouldn't have posted
> this message.  I have tried to install the stuff from the SE, but it locks-up
> when I run the install util.  The SE is not supported, is it?

It shouldn't crash in the installer, but you never know... unless it's
running system 6, in which case... who knows...  Have you tried upping the
memory available to the installer in the get info box (assuming system 7)?
If you have system 6, have you tried DL'ing a copy of Installer 1.0 and
upping _its_ memory some?

Good luck,
David