Subject: Re: Keyboard maps
To: None <eweri@uni-paderborn.de>
From: Masami and Ken Nakata <masami@daikichi.nakata.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/31/1997 08:17:35
On Thu, 30 Jan 1997 15:50:50 +0100 (MET),
Christoph Ewering <eweri@uni-paderborn.de> wrote:
> > What has to be done for loadable kbd tables is to define some ioctls that
> > take a (compiled) table and load it over the original one. I've been at it
> > (in fact, it was my first intensive contact with kernel sources), but
> > dropped the project on half the way.
>
> I don't understand anything from the above.
> What is ioctls?

ioctl(2) (this notation, as a convension, means ioctl manual page is
in section 2 which is for system calls, BTW) is the way to tell a
device to do something other than ordinary reads and writes.  Like,
get the screen attributes of a grf device, for instance.

As for the keymap ioctl()s, I would like to have not only the ability
to modify the keymap, but also the ability to obtain that currently in
use.  This way, dt can copy the kernel keymap without being explicitly
specified of one.  IOW, whatever keymap you are using in the kernel,
dt can automagically mimic its behavior.

Cheers,

Ken