Subject: Re: Booting troubles solved too
To: Christopher R. Bowman <crb@glue.umd.edu>
From: Christoph Ewering <eweri@uni-paderborn.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/28/1997 10:12:21
Hello !
> Ok I am guessing that you have monkeyed around with the scsi chane since
> you did your install.
>
> See when netbsd goes looking for scsi devices, it first looks for scsi id 0
> and if it exists it assigns it to /dev/sd0 it then looks for scsi id 1 and
> if it exist AND no device with scsi id 0 exist then IT get /dev/sd0, and so
> on.
>
> Basically the lowest number scsi device on your chain get /dev/sd0 the
> second lowest becomes /dev/sd1 etc.
>
> An example of mappins is given below.
>
> NetBSD		SCSI
> ------		----
> /dev/sd0	disk drive	ID #2
> /dev/sd1	ZIP drive	ID #4
> /dev/sd2	CDROM		ID #5

Think this isn't right. Scott said that NetBSD will take /dev/cd0 instead.
CD-ROMs have their own device-queue. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

> /dev/sd3	tape drive	ID #6

Think tape-drives have their own device-queue,too.

> when you do an installation the /etc/fstab is written for you, my guess is
> that it is done whenever devices are made.  So if you do an install with a
> certian scsi chain configuration and later change it, the scsi chain by
> either turning on a drive that wasn't on or turn one off or adding or
> removeing one you will change the mapping.  If you don't update the
> /etc/fstab you will be in the trouble you describe.
>
> Solutions: see if building devices under the installer will update it for
> you, be sure to turn on all drive you would have on and off all drive you
> would have off when you run netbsd.  If you are in the installer, you can
> check if /etc/fstab was update by choosing the mini shell menu item and
> typing cat /etc/fstab

Use the minishell in the installer and type "force fstab" (or "fstab
force"), then the fstab will be overwritten by a new one.
It took me one day to came behind it, when i installed NetBSD the
firsttime.
I've send some suggestions for the install-guide but i don`t know if the
responsible person has changed the guide.

> If that doesn't work, then you can fix this for sure by using the installer
> running the minishell using the menu selection and cpout /etc/fstab edit
> this with an editor under macos and then cpin it back into netbsd.

The last possibility ;-)

Could someone explain to me, what is the advantage for this order.
To me it seems a little bit stupid to change the device number when
another device is add to the scsi-bus.

Bye,
	Christoph

Christoph Ewering         eweri@uni-paderborn.de
Husarenstrasse 48         Fon: 05254 12555
33104 Paderborn           www.uni-paderborn.de/Admin/eweri/