Subject: Re: X
To: None <webmaster@indra.seanet.com>
From: Masami and Ken Nakata <masami@daikichi.nakata.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/28/1997 08:12:21
On Tue, 21 Jan 97 15:26:51 -0800,
"John S." <webmaster@indra.seanet.com> wrote:
> Well I have X (xbase12 xcomp12 with the Xmacbsd.960512 server) running on
> my se/30, with only one problem and a couple of questions. (I have waded
> through the man pages, and searched the web for Xwindows tutorials before
> asking these :P )

Well, first of all, though one might say I'm being anal retentive, X
is not X Windows, X-Windows, Xwindows, or XWindows.  Only Window_s_ I
know are widely available are all from Microsoft.  "X Window System
Version 11 Release 6.1" (note the singular noun "Window") is the
official name of the latest release, and can be abbreviated as X, X11,
X11R6, or X Window System (probably more appropriate when version and
release are deducible from the context).  Ok, enough ramblings.

> The problem:
> The xconsole apparently isnt working -i.e. when I drop a ppp connection
> to my isp, the text is displayed "over" the X windows rather than in the
> xconsole window.. I am unsure what I am doing wrong.

I forgot the real fix for this...  As a work-around, you can run
xconsole as root.

> The questions:
> 1) How do I change the size of the font in the windows?

It depends on the client you are talking about.  Xterm and the family
(kterm, exterm, etc) can change its font size by a pop-up menu which
is invoked by a clicking the right button with control key held down.
I believe the same works for GNU Emacs when built with Xt.

> 2) Where is xbiff? I saw it mentioned on a README in one of the macbsd X
> directories mentioned in an example .xinitrc file.. but it isnt in my
> X11R6/ directories..?

I think I wrote that example, and I'm beginning to think it might've
been misleading.  It was meant to be nothing more than an example.
You have to obtain it from somewhere.  Consult archie site nearest you
for the info as to where you can find it.

> 3) What applications, etc should I be trying to fully discover the
> wonders of Xwindows?

I honestly don't know.  I guess it depends on what you want to do?

Ken