Subject: Re: Initial networking setup phase.
To: None <slking@hcs.harvard.edu>
From: Masami and Ken Nakata <masami@daikichi.nakata.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/27/1997 17:38:59
[Sorry to reply this late.  I was on a trip to the US for the entire
last week and unable to read my mail -- Ken]

On Mon, 20 Jan 1997 19:05:15 -0500 (EST),
Stewart King <slking@hcs.harvard.edu> wrote:
> > first.  Here's more or less what I have in /etc/hosts:
> > 127.0.0.1	localhost loopback
> > 128.42.154.39	mycroft-holmes.brown.rice.edu mycroft-holmes mh
> > And so, my /etc/hostname.ae0 has:
> > inet mycroft-holmes 255.255.255.0 128.42.154.255 up
> > Where the 255's are my netmask and the other is my gateway address.
>
> This did, in fact, make those errors go away.  Unsurprisingly, I now have
> an exciting, new batch of errors to report.
>
> starting network
> add host host12: gateway localhost
> writing to routing socket: Invalid argument
> add net : Invalid argument
>
> And telnet still has no route to remote hosts.  I used the same gateway
> address from the old MacTCP settings, although it's possible that I
> didn't put it everywhere that I should have.  Hum.

Wait.  Does this mean you gave the IP address of "gateway" in MacTCP
control panel to your Mac?  If so, DON'T!  It is the address of the
"gateway" that is the host where every packet from you to the Internet
goes through, not your Macintosh itself's address.

If your MacTCP control panel says it gets IP address "Dynamically" or
"From Server", you probably have to run a DHCP client program on your
Mac.  But there's no DHCP client as a part of NetBSD official
distribution at the moment (at least not as far as I can tell), so you
probably want a *statically* allocated IP address for your NetBSD box.
Ask your Net admin at work.

At any late, this error message (below):

> add host host12: gateway localhost

is probably caused by command "route add host12 localhost", and that
is absurd.

> Isn't there some way to make all of this more obvious to set up?  Or would
> that be against the spirit of the thing?  Am I cheating on some sort of
> Unix club initiation rite?  "If he can't make telnet work we don't want
> the little spiker."

Not that I'm aware of, no.  But probably you would want to read the
most frequently recommended UNIX admin book on this list, _UNIX System
Administration Handbook, 2nd Ed._ by Nemeth, et. al.  It's mentioned
somewhere in the FAQ, too.

Ken