Subject: Re: Kernel for Classic II
To: David Bushong <dbushong@cory.eecs.berkeley.edu>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/27/1997 15:56:18
> Try searching the mailing-list archives
> (ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/NetBSD/mailing-lists/port-mac68k/), the last 100 or
> so, for Zucca & Classic II.  M.R. Zucca is the person who came up with  a
> kernel that works on my Classic II.. I don't know about the EZdrive, tho..
> I'd tell you where to get the kernel and what the original name is except
> that I can't remember =)

You need an ADBTEST160 kernel or later to use the Classic II "full console".
The hacks I made during Intvidtest0.x that enabled Classic II video are
part of the official source (last I could tell, anyway) so any ADBTEST
kernel that was made recently should work.

You need an ADBTEST kernel because, if I remember correctly, the ADB on
the Classic II wasn't compatible with the MRG driver code.

I don't remember if anybody was able to run X, though.

I gave up on using my EZ-Drive after I got a 1 gig. Allen Briggs made some
improvements that make using an EZ more reliable but it was still flaky
enough that I don't think I would trust it for everyday use. Things may
have changed since then, though.