Subject: Beginner questions
To: None <PORT-MAC68K@NetBSD.ORG>
From: T. Sean (Theo) Schulze <71410.25@CompuServe.COM>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/26/1997 05:03:00
I apologize for bothering the list with this, but I have some very basic
questions about reading man pages.  I am a rank amateur with Unix and
NetBSD and have just this week installed NetBSD on a Quantum 160 MB GO
drive mounted to a Purple Bullet card in one of the NuBus slots in my
IIci.

I am trying to add a user (myself), but I am having difficulty doing so.
I have gone through O'Reilly and Assoc.'s _Learning the Unix Operating
System_, IDG's _Unix for Dummies_ (in which group I currently qualify!)
and IDG's _Unix Secrets_ by James C. Armstrong Jr.  None of these
references tells me how I can access the man page passwd(5).  When I
enter the command "man passwd" all I get is section 1.  That section does
not give me the structure for the new user's entry in the master.passwd
file.  The information I want is in passwd(5), but when I enter "man
passwd(5)", I get a message about misplaced "("s.  The only page I can
get is (1).

Also, using vipw to add a password for a new user, the file opens in
vipw, but I can't seem to add a line after the last line of the file.  I
have tried "G" to go to the end of the file, but that takes me to the
beginning of the last line.  Using the arrow keys to get to the end of
the last line and hitting return/enter does not work either.

I have ordered a number of other books on Unix, so I can try to teach
myself what is going on here, but in the meantime, would someone please
help me out?

Regards,

Sean

            T. Sean (Theo) Schulze
TSSchulze@aol.com          71410.25 @compuserve.com
Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn.