Subject: Clockticks lost, why ?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christoph Ewering <eweri@uni-paderborn.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/24/1997 11:52:47
Hello guys!

Could someone explain to me why it is so difficult for a Unix-system to
hold the time.

I've tested my Q700 with some heavy load to make it swap,
(ran six xterms with find / -name "*" and one xterm with top)
I got a load of 4.4, but when i look xclock i've lost six minutes in about
30 minutes of heavy load and 2 hours uptime.

I know this problem was also with MkLinux.

I think i only have to read a batterie buffered realtime-counter, this
counter can't loose any ticks, doesn't matter how much load the system
has. Maybe it is a little stupid and i've missed something.

I think Scott reported that his SE/30 looses 9 hours during
compiling a whole night. That's a lot.

Thanks,
	Christoph

Christoph Ewering         eweri@uni-paderborn.de
Husarenstrasse 48         Fon: 05254 12555
33104 Paderborn           www.uni-paderborn.de/Admin/eweri/