Subject: Re: Color X on Quadra
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael R. Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/21/1997 16:07:04
>On Sat, 18 Jan 1997, Michael R. Zucca wrote:
>
>> I would expect my IIvx code to run on any LC unmodified. The VASP chip in the
>> IIvx is based off of the V8 Chip used in the LC's.
>
>  Cool.

Let's hope so.

>  So getting dt to do ansi color would not require altering the kernel or
>making a new one, just a couple little changes in dt's code?  if so, I
>might could try hacking around in dt's code.  Unfortuately I'm
>inexperienced, and lack the space to work on kernels (as well as I'm
>pretty clueless as to the actual hardware interaction. :/.  ).

Sorry. That wasn't quite what I implied. What I mean was that *once you have
a color capable kernel* that adding color to dt would be fairly easy.

You see, each character in dt's buffer has a field that expresses its
attributes (bold, underline, etc.). There is a color field set aside but
it's really not used except for black and white. Check out vt.c and vt.h
(if I remember correctly) for more details. There are a few other routines
in grf.c that assume a 1 bit monitor (like those that erase the screen)
but they can be hacked for other bitdepths pretty easily. The other major
change should be to blit.c. Routines will have to be added for other modes
and they should attempt to be as efficient as the 1 bit blitter :)

This project could be done right now by somebody running Colorkit.
*hint* *hint* :)

 Michael Zucca - mrz5149@rit.cs.rit.edu - http://www.rit.edu/~mrz5149/
 "I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose Freewill. "
  --Rush, Freewill