Subject: Re: other resolutions for dt and X, G20 works on Q700
To: None <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
From: Christoph Ewering <eweri@uni-paderborn.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/20/1997 17:36:19
> > Does dt or X support any other resolution than 640x480 ?
>
> Sure.  It works with whatever the primary resolution for a device is.
> I'm using a Q700 w/ no internal video and with a two-page display
> (monochrome) display.  dt and X work in 1152x870 (w/ a small patch to
> grf_iv.c).

Could you please send the patch? Which kernel and which xserver do you
use?
Could you send me your kernel (if it works with the internal video)
because I'm not very experienced with kernel-compilations.

I use the madhatter#35 and xserver19961105 with the internal video.
If i try to use dt or X with 832x??? nothing happend. dt prints something
like no grf-device. But it works fine with 640x480 and internal video.

> > And the last two questions, is there a function like the shadowpasswd
> > under SystemV ? Or is in BSD a different solution for the crack-problem?
>
> BSD stores an /etc/passwd and /etc/master.passwd:
> -rw-------  1 root  wheel  5005 Jan 18 15:06 /etc/master.passwd
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  4118 Jan 18 15:06 /etc/passwd
>
> The master.passwd file actually contains the encrypted password and
> /etc/passwd does not.  This and the /etc/pwd.db and /etc/spwd.db files
> are why you should use vipw to edit master.passwd--the system will keep
> those four files in sync.

Thanks Allen, i thought i saw the encrypted passwords in the etc/passwd,
but maybe i used vipw to view the passwd. I have to look for it this
evening.

Bye,
	Christoph

Christoph Ewering         eweri@uni-paderborn.de
Husarenstrasse 48         Fon: 05254 12555
33104 Paderborn           www.uni-paderborn.de/Admin/eweri/