Subject: Brief look at XWindows
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Murdock <fee@tetranet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/19/1997 13:15:55
Unix gurus,

My Setup:
P550 no/fpu (comes in the mail on tues.)
GENERICBC20 kernel
base12, xbase12 (did i need these both? if not, then damn!),
xcomp12, etc12, man12.
xserver961105.

I have made sure that ldconfig -r reflects the proper link libraries
in /usr/X11R6/lib.

When I boot into multi-user mode and type startx the following
happens (no captured text here guys, just a summary):

1) The screen goes blank and the drive starts to run every so
often.  At the bottom of the screen is a single line holding
the address of screen 0 and the resolution.  Doesn't look like
anything is bad so far..

2) After about a minute of that screen, I get my gray background
and a large X as my mouse pointer.  A white bar flickers at the
bottom of the screen for an instant, and perhaps some other stuff
appears near the top of the screen (it's so fast I can hardly tell),
but within a fraction of a second, I am back at my # prompt.

I am definitely in 1-bpp.

In /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/ there is a file called something like
.xshrc .. anyhow, it's the only file in there and I put a copy of
it in my $HOME just in case.  Seemed to have no effect (I think I
noticed that the script works from the on in the xinit/ if none is
found in the $HOME), but just thought I'd tell you everything.

Other than that, I have done no adjustments to the content or
arrangement of any of the other X11R6 files.

Good luck and thanks.  I hope this is an easy one.

Mark