Subject: Re: Syquest, Centris650, & NetBSD1.2
To: Stephen R. Lasky <srlasky@BurningElectrons.com>
From: Michael Peters <sailor@oro.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/18/1997 16:19:20
On Sat, 18 Jan 1997, Stephen R. Lasky wrote:

> include before is a warning that BSD hasn't been tested on this
> machine, however, the C650 is listed as compatable with no comments on
> the tested platform page.  Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Sorry for jumping in without lurking for a few days, but I've searched
> the Usenet archives and not found any answers to this problem, which I
> am sure many of you have already fixed on your machines.
>
> I just installed NetBSD on a syquest 200 drive attached to centris 650
> with 40 megs of ram running system 7.5.5.  The Mkfs and installation
> seemed to go well but when I try to boot (booter 1.9) NetBSD, I get a
> system crash and have to reboot.  It does this when set at 8 bit or 1
> bit color depth.
>
> I get a couple of errors.  The first is "error on SCSIRead(), #5"  but
> the FAQ says this is alright and to ignore it.
>
> The second error message, after an apparent successful boot, says:
>
> "panic: Address error    (or I get panic: kernal jumped to zero)
>
> Stopped at _Debugger+0x6: unlk a6"
>

> and then I get the command line:
>
> "db>"
>
> Other info:  I am running a kensington trackball and the listing below
> is the log written from the booter:

  Hmm... not being an expert i can't say for sure, but I got pretty much
the same response after booting, (stopped at _Debugger etc).  After
removing my Kensington mouse, the problems went away.  Try booting it
using a standard apple mouse.  It may be that your trackball isn't
supported.  Far as the syquest suff, i'll let that question float for
those much more experienced than I.

Michael D. Peters