Subject: Re: Another report on the PM kernel
To: None <frederic@kuru.mclean.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/10/1997 10:33:26
> 	For starters both the internal _and_ external monitors work in both
> 	1 and 8 bit mode (yay!).  I tried the external monitor in 640x480
> 	and 832x6?? (whatever the number is for Applescan 14" monitors).

Yes, the kernel's been able to handle 8-bit mode for a while. It has not
been able to handle color, though. Sound confusing? Well, the kernel's
been able to (for almost 2 years, since 1.0 worked on the IIsi) draw
black and white on an 8-bit screen. It can't, though, draw color. It can't
get the palette to know what # == what color, nor can it change the palette.

That's what all the color work's trying to do. :-)

> Luca Bonci (sp?) wrote:
> >
> > Hello, I installed the Hamada sbc Kernel on my PB520 (12M Ram, 60M Unix
> > Partition) and I am really satisfied because finally I could boot
> > NetBSD on my system.
> >
> > I found the following problems:
> >
> > sometimes, using common command like 'ls' or 'man' or 'vi',
> > a 'segmentation fault' error is generated and a ls.core (or vi.core ...)
> > file is dumped. Anyway the system does not crash and if you repeat the
> > command it works.
> >
> 	I had similar behavior as luca regarding random crashes (just keep
> 	typing the command in until it doesn't crash.)  I thought this might
> 	indicate some problem with the 68LC040's cache (since when macs
> 	with 040's started appearing, apple provided a way to turn the
> 	cache off.)  So I dragged out a copy of cache switch, and shut it

I think the real problem is that there's a bug in the LC040 support under
NetBSD. A couple of folks have found it, and Ken Nakata (sp?) (the author
of the FPE) mentioned he'll try to get to it, as life permits.

Take care,

Bill