Subject: strange behavior in current kernels when booting in multi-user mode
From: Masami Nakata <masami@fa2.so-net.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/10/1997 10:02:31
Hello,

I've been experiencing a strange behavior in current kernels when
booting in multi-user mode.  When it starts fsck'ing the filesystems,
fsck just stops there at seemingly random points.  Sometimes fsck
stops before showing anything, and sometimes it stops showing lines
after checking a few filesystems.

If I boot in single-user mode and do fsck by hand, it works just fine.
The only difference I can think of between booting in multi-user and
single-user modes is that fsck may check filesystems "parallelly" when
booting in multi-user mode, whereas it does not when invoked by hand.

I have a Fujitsu M2964ES and a Quantum Fireball 1080 (both 1080M
drives) at SCSI ID 0 and 1 respectively, and I have set up /etc/fstab
in such a way that some partitions are fsck'ed simultaneously.

Does this indicate some kind of race condition in (oh I forgot to
mention which SCSI driver I'm using) the SBC driver?

I had never seen this before I upgraded my system to 1.2B (was running
1.1B as of mid-May 1996 before).

If you need more info, just let me know.

TIA,

ken
(have changed the subscription address due to net5.co.jp mail server
trouble)