To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/05/1997 17:02:29
	id OAA08068; Sun, 5 Jan 1997 14:14:00 -0500
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 14:13:59 -0500 (EST)
From: Dan Bell <dbell@rhombus.cs.jhu.edu>
To: port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG

On Sun, 5 Jan 1997 briggs@puma.macbsd.com wrote:

> Well, I'm one of the offenders, and I quite disagree with splitting the
> list up. I like to keep track of what's going on (even though I sometimes
> forget what the answers are) and I subscribe to a half-dozen netbsd
> groups. This would just mean I'd have to subscribe to even more. What's
> the use in that?

I agree with the sentiment, entirely. I'm already on tons of mailing
lists, and it's a nightmare every time I go away and have to unsubscribe
from all of them. I also like to know who my audience is when I post, and
it's tougher to do that if I've gotta keep track of a bunch of smaller
lists rather than what we've got now.

 > When I'm pressed for time, I just read the subject
lines and delete
> messages without reading them. The mac68k list is NOT that heavily
> trafficked.

I agree with this, too. There are many lists with fewer subscribers who do
a poorer job of staying on-topic. Not that they have any excuse, just that
I don't think our situation is particularly unbearable :).

 > Besides reading
>other people's problems will help you when one of your
> friends ask you "Hey, will unix work on my Performa Double-Plus-Good?"

I think this is the most compelling of the above arguments. I've leared an
awful lot from reading this list, mostly about things that aren't
immediately pertinant (sp?) to me, but that I file away under "may be
useful someday". If I'm crunched for time, I can just read what is
immediately relevant. So, all told, here's another vote for the status
quo.

Daniel Bell
dbell@cs.jhu.edu
Johns Hopkins CS Dept.