Subject: Re: Compiling Perl 4.x
To: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/04/1997 11:51:40

> I am having some problems compiling Perl version 4.036.  Has anyone
> sucessfully compiled it for NetBSD/mac68k?  I downloaded a binary set for
> Perl version 5.x, but it has some problems.  When I try and go through some
> of the examples in the camel book (_Programming perl_) which is written for
> version 4.x, some of the same scripts do not run.  In particular, arrays do
> not seem to work properly.
>
> So I downloaded the set for perl 4.036.  I ran Configure and did make
> depend.  When I do a make, I get a lot of error involving `ALIGNBYTES'
> being redefined.  Here is the tail of the error output:
>
> ----
> [blah blah]
> `sh  cflags cmd.o` cmd.c
>           CCCMD =  gcc -c
> In file included from /usr/include/sys/param.h:91,
>                  from perl.h:141,
>                  from cmd.c:35:
> /usr/include/machine/param.h:100: warning: `ALIGNBYTES' redefined
> config.h:38: warning: this is the location of the previous definition

Looks like perl's config's idea of ALIGNBYTES disagrees with NetBSD's
idea.

NetBSD keeps some parameters in different places than many non-NetBSD-aware
configurers expect. This case might be one of them. Another possability
might be that the two definitions are compatable, just different.

Maybe just try deleting the definition from config.h

[snip]

> The instructions for perl say that if you have problems, you should compile
> using the -DCRIPPLED_CC flag which I did.  However, I did not get very far,
> as this is the error output.

I don't think your problems are from a crippled C compiler, but from
naughty config files. Since our cc is gcc, it should behave well.

> If anyone has successfully compiled this version of perl, I would
> appreciate any pointers on how to get this thing to work.  A copy of your
> config.sh would be really great.

Take care,

Bill