Subject: Re: ADBTEST160 - more info
To: Jamie Le Tual <j_letua@alcor.concordia.ca>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@pgoyette.bdt.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/02/1997 05:41:00
Yeah, but what you got this time wasn't the Mac's debugger...

Cmnd-Power is used to generate a NMI (Non-Maskable Interrupt).  When
you're running vanilla MacOS, the interrupt vector for NMI is pointed to
the mini-debugger in the Mac ROMs, and you get a dialog box on the screen
with just a ">" prompt character.  If you're running MacsBug with your
MacOS, then you get into that debugger instead.

Now, when you're running NetBSD/Mac, the vector points to the gdb debugger
built into just about all of the publicly distributed kernels.  gdb won't
ever show up under MacOS, and MacsBugs won't ever show up under MacBSD.

BTW, for MacsBug, the "Macs" part has nothing to do with Macintosh - MACS
is an acronym for Motorola Advanced Computer System!  The original MacsBug
code was developed by Motorola, and modified by Apple to work in the MacOS
environment!