Subject: Re: about: caps lock
To: Isaac Salpeter <isaac@ticalc.org>
From: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@netscape.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/19/1996 11:07:45
Isaac Salpeter wrote:

> Flexible keymaps are a Good Thing(TM). I tweaked the default US
> keymappings and a bit of the keyboard code in dt to map all those extra
> keys on my Apple Extended Keyboard to useful things. I've mapped page up,
> page down, home, end, etc to the proper Pine/Pico control keys and let
> the function keys do more than simply output a string of text from
> .dtrc (like putting cut, copy, and paste where they belong on F2-F4, and
> letting F5-F8 switch between virtual consoles).
>
> It would be great if some of this could be built into the kernel (which is
> not to say that I don't love dt!).

Remember that the kernel just sends pre-defined code up to userland.
It is up to the program to intrepret them properly. This is why X
has xmodmap, which allows you to change the "raw" keycodes (that come
directly from the hardware driver) to "X" keycodes. This is a 1-to-1
mapping, I believe.

I have been tossing around the idea of having the ability to load a
new keymap into the device driver. This way, it would be easy to
remap things so a non-US keyboard works more correctly or you
could remap the Qwerty key mappings so that the programs think
you have a Dvorak keyboard.

I may have a little time to play with this this weekend.

	--John