Subject: Re: Centris vs. Quadra 610
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Stephen J. Alexander <Stephen.J.Alexander@Dartmouth.EDU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/21/1996 14:49:00
--- Stephen J. Alexander wrote:
The machines are identical. Same logic board and all.
--- end of quoted material ---

I checked this out after second thoughts and a few doubts, and unfortunately I
am forced to admit that I was wrong. The machines do have the same logic boards
(and thus the ADB information is not an issue), however the processors are not
necessarily the same. The specs from Service Source (basically Apple's service
provider tech info product) provide the following info:

Processors
	Centris 650
		Motorola 68040/25 MHz
		Built-in memory management unit (MMU)
	Quadra 650
		Motorola 68040/33 MHz
		Built-in memory management unit (MMU)
		Coprocessor Optional floating-point unit (FPU)
	Centris 610/AWS 60
		Motorola 68LC040/20 MHz
		Built-in memory management unit (MMU)
		Note: Apple does not provide a floating point unit (FPU)
upgrade for this product.
	Quadra 610/AWS 60
		Quadra 610: Optional Motorola 68LC040 or 68040
		AWS 60: Motorola 68040/25 MHz
		Built-in memory management unit (MMU)
		Note: A floating point unit (FPU) coprocessor is included with
the 68040 processor.
--Apparently the Apple Workgroup Server 60 can have either the Quadra 610 or
Centris 610 configuration. The documentation was not especially clear on this
point. Or maybe I'm missing something, I'm not familiar with that particular
machine. -sja
	Quadra 660AV/Centris 660AV
		Motorola 68040/25 MHz
		Built-in paged memory management unit (PMMU)
		floating point unit (FPU)
		8K memory cache

Hope this helps!

Cheers,