Subject: Re: xconsole when not root
To: Steven Campbell <scampbel@astral.magic.ca>
From: Stefan Schmiedl <swsch@t-online.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/19/1996 09:37:35
Steven Campbell wrote:

> Hi.  On my own machine, i'm set up as a user, and I am a member of group
> wheel.  When i'm root, and I launch X, by default it comes up with some
> XTerms, and TWM's Icon Manager, and the console.  The trouble is that when
> I use the same .xinitrc file for my own personal username, I get a message
> in the Console window that the Console cannot be opened.

I am using xdm on my SE/30 and it has some config files
located in the application directory inside the X11R6 folder.
There should be a directory '.../xdm/' in which the config
files go. On starting, xdm executes one file as root, another
as user; you can find the details in the manpage for xdm.

If you always use X, then call xdm at the end of the system
"rc" file in /etc/, and everything should work fine.

I am writing this from the MacOS side of my machine and
am hindered by poor memory from being more specific |-(

If you want, I could send you a copy of the files with
the exact locations. Drop me a note.

--

Stefan Schmiedl

    email: swsch@t-online.de
    phone: +94 21 92 39 16
snailmail: Ittlinger Strasse 27c, D-94315 Straubing, Germany
     "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit ..."