Subject: Re: A user needs help booting a IIvx
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: M.R. Zucca <mrz5149@rit.cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/20/1996 22:26:13
>set. i found a bug(?) that the booter crashed when the internal video
>(what i use) wasn't set to 1-bit color. the screen turned white, and gave
>me some sane-looking messages about RAM, VRAM, and bootstrapping. then,
>the machine does nothing else after the "copyright the rengents of
>university of california" notice. it does not appear to be doing anything
>like accessing the hard drive or otherwise. i have toggled several of
>those options on and off in the booter, and i've had no luck.
>what went wrong? or what did i do wrong? i'd *really* appreciate any help
>i can get. if any more info is needed, feel free to ask! i want to run
>MacBSD!
>thanks a LOT! :)

As a IIvx user, I know exactly what the problem is... you're booter's too new.
The latest booter locks up at that point.

Use booter 1.9 (not 1.9.1. Just 1.9) which should be available at macbsd.com.
Also use the absolute latest kernels for best performance. Other than that,
it should work great.

I noted this problem a month ago and I wanted to send a booter dump to the
fellow who's working on the booter but I lost his address and I've been
terribly busy :(

Anyway, things have been lightening up so I should be able to get that bug
report out. In addition, you are among the lucky IIvx users that will get
to use color X windows when I complete the first color internal video driver.
I know what to do, I just have to spend a weekend (maybe this weekend),
buy a 6 pack of Coke and do a code-in or something :)

 Michael Zucca - mrz5149@rit.cs.rit.edu - http://www.rit.edu/~mrz5149/
 "I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose Freewill. "
  --Rush, Freewill