Subject: Re: MRG, ADB, serial console vs. PRAM time
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Hauke Fath <saw@sun0.urz.uni-heidelberg.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/18/1996 23:36:22
At 8:44 Uhr 18.06.1996, Scott Reynolds wrote:

>With the current state of affairs, if you boot with a serial console, you
>can't read or set the RTC because the ROM vectors are never initialized.
>I propose that instead of dumping the ROM vectors entirely, we abort
>adb_init() before it does anything useful if a serial console is in use.

On a related issue:

Is there any way of booting NetBSD with console on internal video but
without keyboard or mouse? When the box is up and running, I can
unplug/replug the kbd, but when it boots to internal video and sees no kbd
it just hangs forever in some ADB init code.

I'd like to move my SE/30 to a quiet corner when I feel it is running
reliably enough (SCSI...) - preferably to the kitchen where it can compile
nights through without disturbing my sleep. Two HDs, an MO and two fans are
too much... Plus I have only one keyboard and don't want to buy a second
one just to put it in a corner.

Right now the NetBSD/Mac box boots via serial console and is accessed via
ethernet from my Q700. The getty takes away one serial port, a modem takes
the the second one -- no place left for my DeskWriter. The idea being that
when db> comes up or the machine is in single user mode I simply plug in
the kbd and do stuff.

This would mean something like dynamic adb device attachment.

Any ideas?

	hauke

---