Subject: Accellerated LC story...
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Scott Lipcon <slipcon@max.tiac.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/07/1995 17:10:53
Hi... I didn't really expect it to work, but I haven't tried in months so
I thought I'd try again.  My system is a:
Mac LC (LC I, not II or III!!)
Daystar Accellerator with 68030,FPU and MMU
10Mb RAM
running BSD off a Syquest drive... 36Mb AUX Root&Usr Slice 0, 8Mb Swap

I tried to install etc11 and base11 from puma... I ran out of disk space
part way through, but decided to try it anyway, figureing that I got MOST
of what I needed (fsck, sh, login, other essentials)

I tried the LCIII kernel and the netbsd11 kernel from puma.

What surprised me is how LITTLE it actually did... previously, I had made
it until far after netbsd took over the screen, until it died on some
VIA2 error that we isolated as a wierd LC video chip.  Now, all it does
is malloc() the memory, and go through that thing where it puts up about
20 or so memory addresses, and then it puts up two lines, which I can't
recall at the moment, but they looked like some sort of ROM calls.  It
never got out of the booter.

One other difference is that I was using the 1.8 booter this time, and
the 1.6 last time.

I don't really expect to get this working, because of my wierd
configureation, but if I ever get a new mac (the LC is my one and only
right now) I'm going to format the 170Mb internal drive for NetBSD and
try my hardest to get it working!

Scott