Port-i386 archive

Re: serial console device, and installboot vs. /boot.cfg

On Thu, Feb 08, 2024 at 07:31:58PM +0300, Valery Ushakov wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 08, 2024 at 00:40:07 -0800, Steve Rikli wrote:
>
> > 0) is this setup for i386/amd64 serial console documented somewhere?
>
> Probably not documented explicitly.  It's a bit hard to fit into the
> Guide, b/c the details vary wildly from port to port.  I thought MD
> section of the installation instructions has it, but x86 versions
> seems to be silent about it.  A sutiable writeup would be welcome :)

Can you point to the "MD section" you're referring to, e.g. from other
architecture port(s) which talk about console setup in the way you're
thinking about? I used to look at INSTALL.* for sparc, alpha, and
sgimips, but it's admittedly been a while.

At minimum I'd like to compare vs. the i386/amd64 installation guides;
I dunno if my notes are at all helpful but I'm happy to share.

> Too bad there
> was no OpenBoot for x86 :) (well, there was but Sun never released
> that x86 Javastation).

Quite. Working with Sun et al systems long ago, dealing with PC consoles
sometimes feels a bit clunky to me; the latest BMC/IPMI gadgets don't
always help so much either. :(  :-)