Port-i386 archive

Re: File handle limits and gnome-appearance-properties

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 02:45:59PM +0100, Rhialto wrote:
> On Fri 28 Nov 2008 at 00:15:11 -0500, Jared D. McNeill wrote:
> > On Thu, 27 Nov 2008, Jeff Wheeler wrote:
> >> I'm running NetBSD 4.0.1 with a generic kernel and pkgsrc-current, from
> >> where I got GNOME 2.24.
> >>
> >> Any ideas on what might be causing these file limit problems?
> >
> > The default maximum number of file descriptors in NetBSD 4 is very low
> > (64 on i386 if my memory serves correctly). You can adjust this in
>
> Oh come on, a program that routinely requires 64 simultaneous open files
> before even doing anything, is a wasteful resource hog and not worth the
> magnetic domains it is stored in.

We have a library at work that gets you to fd numbers in the 80s as soon
as its initialisation runs :-(

By default netbsd leaves the 'hard' limit for open files reasonably high.
A non-privileged process can increase the soft limit so any value below
the hard limit, so a user should be able to increase it in .profile.
Shells usually set both the soft and hard limits - so once changed the
number can't be increased again.

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost