Subject: Re: Can't assign requested address
To: chandru <chandrashekhar.mullaparthi@gmail.com>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/08/2005 09:22:52
	I believe the dhcp spec says you must renew after half of your lease
time has expired.  So, if your lease is 7 minutes, your client will have to
renew after 3.5 minutes.  This is a fairly short time frame, it's possible
not all the network glue that dhclient pastes into your configuration gets
completely settled between renew cycles.  Typical lease times are between
15 minutes and 24 hours.  For really stable environments, lease times of a
week are quite common.  A week is what I use on my home systems, and that
just works for everything I've ever connected, laptops running Windows,
WIFI IP phones, Tivo boxes, other strange stuff.
So, try upping the lease time, and see if that changes the behavior you
get.  I'm not sure why Steven's suggestion works, but it does hint at a bug
somewhere, either in dhclient, or our routing code.
-Brian