Subject: pkgsrc and already installed binary pkgs
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: None <magetoo@fastmail.fm>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/29/2004 14:42:33
Hi guys.

  First of all, apologies if this is slightly off topic.  I don't know
  exactly where it belongs.

  I've been running 1.6 for some time now, and have always used binary
  packages (off CD).  After getting my DSL connection, I'm thinking of
  upgrading, and of using pkgsrc instead of binary packages.

  Or more truthfully, I saw something cool and just had to have it, and
  pkgsrc was conviniently there.

  Now, source and binary packages don't seem to interact too well.  Is
  that the way it is supposed to be?  The normal routine is that i cd to
  some/package, make, and wait for the error message, which is usually
  "somepackage requires somelib version 1.2.3, but it seems you already
  have somelib 1.1.1 installed (old version?)"; and then pkg_delete -f
  somelib and "make" again.  Not exactly optimal, I think.

  Especially with packages with lots of dependencies.  I don't really
  like having to rebuild something big like, say, Mesa, just to get xmms
  working (which "packagely broke" after updating pth (which had to be
  built so I could use Gaim)).

  It will get easier in time, after all the big packages are built, but
  is there a better solution?

  This whole thing reminds me of my Debian experience, only back then I
  didn't even have dialup.  Thanks to the fast connection it's a lot less
  painful now.

Magnus