Subject: Re: MPACPI fix (for those who had trouble with it, urgent!)
To: Sergio Jimenez <tripledes@eslack.org>
From: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@engine.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/13/2004 12:17:32
> Hi, I'm not sure about the ACPI troubles, but just two weeks ago I bought a pci cardbus adapter to be able to use my pcmcia cards on my workstation (mostly wi cards based). Badly surprised I saw my new cardbus detected on dmesg, but it didn't (actually doesn't) want to work, I inserted different cards and no one worked (kernel reported neither error nor success).
> I've been looking for some tips, and I found that many cardbus need PCIBIOS_* options enabled on the working kernel (I'm so unlucky, my interr. router isn't supported) to properly detect pcmcia cards. Also, I compiled a kernel with MPACPI && ioapic, but my IDE controllers were losing interrupts and the system was not able to boot correctly.

Hi Sergio:

Your kernel boot messages appear indicate that your hardware is being
detected.  (I wish NetBSD was at least able to detect my hardware as good
as it did yours.)  But of course detecting is not enough, especially if
the kernel is allocating the wrong interrupts for you.

With that in mind, could you also provide the kernel messages when you
insert different PCMCIA cards into your cardbus slot?

Also, check your bios and see if there are any bios settings for
PCI/IRQ allocations, enabling the pcmcia, or disabling the "Plug-n-Play
OS" feature.  If so, you might want to mess around with the BIOS settings.

Interesting Athlon laptop hardware though, very much different than my pure
Intel Centrino hardware on my laptop.  And I was not aware of any Athlon
powered laptops with a Planetconnect Satellite receiver.  Out of curiousity
from pure ignorance on my part, what does the Planetconnect Satellite
receiver do?  Is it some type of receiver for satellite IP broadband, like
that offered by Directv DirectWay, that requires you to carry a satellite
dish around with your laptop?  I can't seem to find any docs on satlink?

Alicia.