Subject: Re: make search in pkgsrc
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/11/2001 18:15:14
On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 03:27:25PM -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 07:11:03PM +0200, Christian Hattemer wrote:
> > creating the index on the first run of make search in /usr/pkgsrc took over
> > 5 hours, then I aborted it. Is it normal to take so long? I have a
> > Thunderbird/1100, so this isn't a slow machine and the amount of data to
> > process shouldn't be that huge.
>
> The speed of the processor is less important than the speed of the
> drive. This process is positively I/O bound.
regardless of CPU speed or drive speed, 5 hours for this is ridiculous IMHO.
is this process doing something along the same lines of the recursive
depends stuff talked about lately on tech-pkg? there has to be some way to
make it work and make it usable... I know I personally won't use `make
search' if generating its index takes nearly that long, and I can't imagine
anybody else wants to wait hours for make search when they could pipe find
through perl and hunt for the search string on their own...