Subject: Re: Synaptics mouse not detected
To: Hanspeter Roth <hanspeter_roth@hotmail.com>
From: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.yi.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/05/2001 11:06:52
On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Hanspeter Roth wrote:
> Hmm. I don't know exactly.
> I also don't know what an IntelliMouse is. Are these the ones
> with the crippled middle key and with wheel?
> The Specification states: Touchpad compatible with PS/2 mouse.
> Linux tells something like: PS/2 mouse detected.
> Openbsd tells:
>   vt0 at isa0 port 0x60/16 irq 1: vga 80 col, color, 8 scr, mf2-kbd
>   pms0 at vt0 irq 12

I think Intellimouse is for the newer scroll-wheel mice.. I have a
two-wheeled cordless mouse for my laptop and it uses 'pmsi'.

> >There is a mouse driver available for PS/2 mice that lets you specify the
> >IRQ line:
> >
> >#opms0  at pc? irq 12           # PS/2 auxiliary port mouse
>
> I have tried this. But it forced me to turn off severel of
> the ws* stuff. Then I there wasn't a login prompt after startup
> any more.

How about this one:

#opms*          at pckbc?               # backwards compatible PS/2 mouse

That should work with wscons..

> After I attempted opms0 I reenabled pms and pmsi again.
> It seems to me they are already in the GENERIC_LAPTOP.
> But there is no such line with pms like there is with Openbsd.

OpenBSD <= 2.8 doesn't use wscons (it's present in their current branch
though). Our opms driver is probably closest to what they have.

> >Also, remember that with most of the mouse drivers on NetBSD, you need to
> >use type 'wsmouse' and device '/dev/wsmouse0' with X to use them.
>
> I think I tried this as the first option.
> But after applying (in XF86Setup) the mouse dosen't respond.
> But I think in the bootlog there sould appear the pms line first.
> Or am I searching at the wrong Place?

opms should function like the OpenBSD driver, so give it a shot and tell
me how it goes.

Jared