Subject: Re: apm (Re: Anyone running NetBSD on an IBM ThinkPad [A|T]21?)
To: Johan Danielsson <joda@pdc.kth.se>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/19/2001 13:28:03
In message <xoflms75rrr.fsf@blubb.pdc.kth.se>, Johan Danielsson writes:
>Chuck Cranor <chuck@research.att.com> writes:
>
>> a preliminary version of my changes are appended below (still needs
>> some minor cleanup).
>
>Cool! Seems to work fine.
>
>Now the only thing that bugs me is that the suspend buttons don't seem
>to notify the kernel of the pending suspend, and so it has no chance
>to power off any pcmcia cards, which makes the bios barf on the still
>powered cards. Wonder how this is supposed to work (if it's supposed
>to work).

Not clear if it's "supposed" to work according to IBM.  The suspend
button (at least on my TP 600E, which is not yet running NetBSD)
generates a "suspend requested" event.  BSD/OS, at least, tries to
power down pcmcia cards, but it doesn't seem to help if I power down at
that point.  (I do have debugging traces which show the request event
has been generated.)

I finally wrote a little script that I invoke via button1 under X; it
powers down the cards, and then does a programmatic suspend request.
That works just fine on BSD/OS, and I would assume that the same would
work on NetBSD.