Subject: Re: PnP / ess problems
To: Steve Woodford <steve@mctavish.co.uk>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/26/2000 12:45:33
<steve@mctavish.co.uk> (Steve Woodford) writes:

> This is something I noticed a while back with the ESS driver. It contains
> some code (the stuff which fiddles with the `SCR') which is really
> specific to the ESS device on the Shark (NetBSD/arm32). If you have kernel
> sources, just delete the `ess_config_addr()' function and all references
> to it from the file sys/dev/isa/ess.c.

It's not just Shark-specific; the ESS 1788 in my laptop is arranged
the same way. The ISA ESS chips have both the system-control-register
and read-sequence-key mechanisms avaliable to set the I/O address, and
one of the input pins on the chip determines which mechanisim may be
used.

So the solution isn't to delete the read-sequence-key code; the
solution would be to add read-sequence-key code and a way to try both.

        - Nathan