Subject: Re: just dumn questions
To: Matthew Orgass , Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@rkr.kcnet.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/23/2000 20:45:13
Actually, if screen (in packages) will give him what he's looking for, he
might also look at window(1) which ships with the system.

Window has some problems.  However, for a while I was stuck in
text-console land due to a dead monitor.  I remember deciding that I
somewhat prefered window to screen.  Both, as I recall, provide limited
scrolling and select-and-paste operations.  Both also use custom TERMCAP
variables---however, screen's terminal emulation is close(?) to
vt100.  Also, window (at least) does funky stuff with page-up/page-down
keys on the i386 local console (most programs can't grok those keys under
window), and window itself Really Should support arrow keys in
window scrolling/sizing/positioning contexts.

Unless screen has features that I am not aware of, however, screen (and
window, so far as I know) don't really do what he wants.

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@rkr.kcnet.com