Subject: Re: CardBus bridge declares "i'm not configured"
To: Jonathan R. Hinds <jon@fork.yi.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/22/2000 16:02:39
In message <Pine.NEB.4.21.0001221436330.301-100000@dizzy>"Jonathan R. Hinds" wr
ites
>> If you want support for DMA-capable CardBUs devices like the 3c575,
>> you might consider moving to -current, or at least a -current kernel).
>> Can you try booting the kernel from one of the -current snapshots, and
>> see if it does any better? (You may have to update bootblocks to do
>> that, but new bootblocks will still boot old kernels).
>
>I am running some 1.4.1 boxes with -current kernels. These machines boot
>fine, but I am curious: How do I update to the newest bootblocks?

Unpack the sys/arch/i386/stand/ from a recent source snapshot.
cd into your new sys/arch/i386/stand.
Issue:
	make OBJECT_FMT=a.out make
	make install

then cd to /usr/mdec and follow the instructions in the manpage.
For a single-disk machine, the typical line is

	./installboot -f /usr/mdec/biosboot.sym -f /dev/rXd0a

where X is 'f' for floppy, 's' for scsi, and 'w' for IDE.