Subject: Re: serial console HOWTO?
To: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/20/2000 11:00:44
On Thu, Jan 20, 2000 at 12:05:17AM -0700, Miles Nordin wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Jonathan Stone wrote:
>
> > a line that's transparent to DC1/DC3,
> I don't know what DC1/DC3 is.  I think we're fine here, because I already
> explaned that all this only matters if you want to link emacs into the
> bootblocks.  Once NetBSD goes multiuser, you can ask for any flow control
> you want.

DC1/DC3 are ^Q/^S, XON/XOFF

He doesn't want a chance of the machine not booting because a ^S slipped in.

> information and reboot a box that's far away.  That's why I don't want
> flow control on it by default!  Certainly, I at least don't want to have
> to get flow control up before I can see a boot> prompt.
> flow control != reliability.

> Not having flow control when you need it?  Your screen gets corrupted. You
> press ^L.  You use ed or vi instead of emacs.  You are annoyed, but you
> keep your box up.  (or, more realistically, nothing happens at all because
> the no-flow-control period lasts only through the boot> prompt)  _This_ is

But in Jonathan's case, if his terminal server (or whatnot) is set for
hardware flow control, he won't be able to type commands at the boot
prompt, because the bootblocks aren't bringing CTS high.

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Although some of you out
there might find a microwave oven controlled by a Unix system an attractive