Subject: Minding my extra Qs
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Anne Bennett <anne@alcor.concordia.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/13/2000 16:37:42
This seems to be my week for bugging this list!

Again, the O/S is NetBSD 1.4.1, on an earlyish Pentium.  The
problematic software this time seems the X server which came with the
O/S.  It is spouting lowercase "q" characters while I type!

Some notes:
 - The host on which this is happening has been in use for several
   years, with me typing at the console, no X.  I replaced the
   keyboard a few months ago, but this new keyboard has been used
   heavily in the past month while I upgraded the O/S and installed
   software, and there was never any sign of misbehaviour while simply
   logged in at the console without running X.
 - I have a very similar set-up here at work: a comparable machine
   running the same O/S and X revision, and the same X set-up (der
   Mouse's "xc" connection filter, use of ssh-agent, a hacked fvwm as
   window manager), and I have seen no problems at all of this type in
   several weeks of full-time use.

I am flummoxed as to why only one of these two hosts would show the
problem.

Here are more details:
 - The lowercase "q" characters appear while I am typing in an xterm;
   I have not seen them appear while I am not typing.  They do not
   appear in pasted text either.
 - I don't think I've had any other characters appear (I thought I
   might have seen a "d" last night, but that could have been a typo).
 - This happens a *lot*, to the point of making the interface almost
   unusable by someone who wishes to remain sane.  By "a lot", I mean
   it happens in almost every command line I type, sometimes more than
   once in a single line!
 - Typing speed seems to make a difference: when I slow down
   considerably, the number of inserted "q"s drops.
 - I can't nail down a pattern of typed letters which causes the
   problem;  I saw a lot of "/locaql" instead of "/local" and "cdq
   directory" instead of "cd directory" last night, but I was just
   typing those strings a lot, and the "q"s appeared at lots of other
   places as well.

Where would I even *begin* to look for a weird problem like this?

Anne.
--
Ms. Anne Bennett, Senior Analyst, IITS, Concordia University, Montreal H3G 1M8
anne@alcor.concordia.ca                                        +1 514 848-7606