Subject: Re: laptop questions
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
From: Mirian Crzig Lennox <lennox@alcita.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/29/1999 13:17:24
"Patrick Welche" <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> Mirian Crzig Lennox wrote:
> > (2) Is there any known reason why using my serial port with Minicom
> > and a modem sould cause the system to lock up hard? (i.e. can't even
> > ctrl-alt-esc into DDB).  This happens reliably at any speed and
> > regardless of flow control settings.  It also happens with a null
> > modem cable connected to another PC.  The hang doesn't happen until
> > DTR is high.
>
> All I can say is "me too".. This may be something I was confusing with
> vnlocking earlier. This is with getty on tty01 with a modem. [...]

I don't know what kind of a PC you have, but on my laptop with AWARD
BIOS, the fix was as follows:

Go into the "Integrated Peripherals" section of the BIOS and set:
	Assign IRQ11 For USB:	Enabled
	Dock Use In DOS:	No
	PNP OS Installed:	No

Also, in the same section of BIOS, make sure that "Onboard Serial Port 2"
is set to "Disabled" if you only have one serial port (seems obvious,
but my laptop was shipped with the incorrect setting.)

Doing all of the above fixed my serial port lockups.

--
Mirian Crzig Lennox                                Systems Anarchist
              Invest in America -- buy a Congressman!