Subject: Re: NetBSD/i386 processor recommendation
To: William O Ferry <WOFerry+@CMU.EDU>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/05/1997 22:37:38
On Tue, 5 Aug 1997, William O Ferry wrote:

> ...or a Pentium Pro at 150MHz.

These are an excellent, excellent value right now.

> Likewise if the P6-150 is stable at 166
> or 180, I'd be likely to push for the higher speed.

In all the reports of overclocked PPro150s I've seen, I've never
heard of one that wouldn't do 180 reliably. However, you want to
do 166, and get 10% more bus speed (and thus memory bandwidth).

Oddly enough, though, while my PPro 150 overclocked to 166 is
noticably faster than my old P133, it's not screamingly faster,
like twice the speed, or anything like that. Maybe half again as
much.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.		`And malt does more than Milton can
Vancouver, BC   (604) 257-9400		 To justify God's ways to man.'