Subject: Re: elink3 bites (was Re: new i386 snapshot (finally))
To: None <sjg@quick.com.au>
From: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/08/1997 15:04:00
> > A GENERIC kernel and an SSTO boot floppy image is now available in
>
> Thanks, I tried the boot disk...
> ep0 ifconfig's ok but ping fails.
>
> For what its worth the commands I just typed after the "install"
> function finnished were:
>
> # ifconfig ep0 203.12.250.7 netmask 255.255.255.192 media aui
> # ping 203.12.250.1
> PING 203.12.250.1 (203.12.250.1): 56 data bytes
> 64 bytes from 203.12.250.1: icmp_seq=3D0 ttl=3D255 time=3D2.657 ms
> ping: failed to clear cached route: Network is unreachable

I think I saw this as well, but I have no explanation.  If I
recall correctly I was still able to add a default route and run
ftp, so I wrote the above off as a more or less random glitch.
(heh)  I see you were able to NFS-mount and transfer the files
that way -- glad to have helped.

> And a final data pt.  I tried installing 1.2.1 last night,
> and despite what the man pages say, no combination of link0 -link1
> etc would get ep0 to use the AUI port, and it definitely was not
> working from either side of the net.

This agrees with what I've seen as well with a 3c595.  In my case
I tried using the UTP port, and the link light on the hub
wouldn't come on no matter which combination of link0 and link1 I
used.

- H=E5vard